Oxygen for Caregivers
A Toolkit to Guard Against Burnout, Build Resilience, and Sustain Compassion
Oxygen for Caregivers is a multidisciplinary team-building seminar with three inspiring two-hour sessions that improve morale, performance, and retention. Easy to teach for any instructor, it comes with all the audio-visual and printed materials you need to lead the program and inspire your team.
This program is for everyone on the front lines of health care: nurses, physicians and allied health professionals, including first responders—all who are witness to human suffering on a regular basis. Here is a powerful tool to protect your team from compassion fatigue, vicarious trauma, and burnout. It is a gift you can give to show you’ve got their back.
Oxygen for Caregivers includes:
- 35-minute documentary-style video.
- 76-page Workbook Pdf file with permission to copy.
- 76-page Leader Guide Pdf file.
- 5 bonus video clips & 40 Power Point slides.
- Class formats for three inspiring in-service sessions.
- Real-World Self-Care
- Where Wellness Begins
- The Journey into Wholeness
- 3 hours of continuing education (California BRN# CEP16529).
- Video subtitled in Spanish and English.
Your team learns to:
- Build three pillars of resilience.
- Understand the occupational hazards of caregiving and the difference between compassion fatigue, burnout, moral distress, and vicarious trauma.
- Recognize their own early warning signs of distress and take steps to protect themselves.
- Make self-care choices they can commit to, because they fit with their own lifestyle and goals.
- Support one another in creating and sustaining a wellness plan for lifelong well-being.
This unique video-based seminar, four years in the making, is the result of 30 years of pioneering work in the art and practice of treating the sick, injured, and dying with compassion. It is the third and most recent release in the award-winning Cultivating Compassion series for building cultures of compassion, which includes:
- Volume 1. The Medicine of Compassion: Core Skills for the Human Side of Health Care.
- Volume 2. Compassion in Action: Being Effective in Emotionally Difficult Conversations.
Buy DVD & CD: 495.00
Download to Own: $285.00
View Video: $2.95
“I work with the military, first responders around world, the wilderness medicine community, and emergency physicians and residents at Stanford Hospital. This is a wonderful resource to share with my emergency medicine faculty and residents. Please keep up the good work. It is fascinating and much needed.”
Paul S. Auerbach, MD
Stanford University School of Medicine
“These resources are beautifully created and remind us of the importance of self-care. The videos and workbooks provide wonderful tools for all healthcare professionals.”
Pam Malloy, RN, Director
End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC)
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
Simon Fox: Stress & burnout.
“Oxygen for Caregivers was a runaway success when it premiered at our Care4You compassion fatigue conference. I am still receiving rave reviews from nurses, social workers, and first responders. It is a highly useful, much needed resource.”
Françoise Mathieu, MEd
Author: The Compassion Fatigue Workbook
“This remarkable program, Oxygen for Caregivers, provides wonderful, unrehearsed insights from our colleagues who have successfully coped with stress for decades. I highly recommend it.”
David Chernof, MD
David Geffen UCLA School of Medicine
“This was my first time presenting a session on self-care. The Oxygen for Caregivers video made it so easy to do—it made the topic visible. As a result, my group immediately engaged in a spirited, insightful, and healthy dialogue. It was a refreshing experience for all.”
Rebekah “Beka” Riemer, RN,
Intensive Care Unit
Little Company of Mary Medical Ctr. Torrance
Explore the full Series